Anesthesia Error Lawsuits
Unless anesthesia is administered by a competent medical professional, many things can go wrong. When a mistake is made in the administration of anesthesia or when doctors fail to monitor you and respond to problems, you can suffer serious injuries, including brain damage, permanent injury, coma or death. The consequences can be devastating to victims of anesthesia errors or to surviving family members left behind after a death.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of an anesthesia error, it is very important that you consult with an experienced medical malpractice attorney. At The Abelson Personal Injury Law Firm, our dedicated anesthesia error lawyer have helped countless clients throughout the Washington DC, area take action against the medical providers who harmed them. We can review your case and help you to get the compensation you deserve after an anesthesia mistake.
Types of Anesthesia Errors
Each year in the United States, approximately one out of every 1,000 people who undergo anesthesia suffers some type of complication. These complications can arise as a result of local or general anesthesia and can occur due to:
- Excessive anesthesia doses
- Insufficient or incorrect anesthesia dose leading to “anesthesia awareness” (being awake during surgery)
- Obstruction of the airways
- Errors in intubation
- Allergic reactions to anesthesia medications
- Mistakes in reading medical charts
- Inadequately trained anesthetists or anesthesiologists
- Inadequate examination, testing or assessment prior to administering anesthesia
- A failure to obtain the patient’s informed consent prior to administering anesthesia
- Improperly positioning the patient before surgery, which can lead to nerve damage
- A failure to monitor the patient while he or she is under anesthesia, including failing to correctly set up and monitor the patient using electrocardiograms and blood pressure cuffs
- Placing the intravenous lines (IVs) incorrectly
- Inadequate post-operative care
- Failure to resuscitate the patient.
Permanent injury, or even death, is a common result of these anesthesia errors. Errors can be made in any procedure where anesthesia is used, from a minor dental procedure to a major surgery. Anesthesia is among the most dangerous areas of medicine, and doctors and providers are expected to behave with a reasonable level of competence given the special training required to provide this risky type of care.
Harmed by an Anesthesia Error? Talk to Our Medical Malpractice Lawyers Today
When an anesthesia error occurs, the victim of the mistake or the surviving family members can take legal action against the anesthesiologist, the anesthetist or the health care facility where the anesthesia was administered. At The Abelson Personal Injury Law Firm, we will represent your interests every step of the way, from deciding whom should be sued and held responsible for the injuries to gathering the evidence that you need to prove your claim. In many cases, it is necessary to have expert testimony to prove that the anesthesia error was the result of medical malpractice. We will put you in touch with the right experts and help you to build a strong case against the responsible parties.
If you or a loved one has suffered injury from an anesthesia error, or if you are concerned that you or a family member has been hurt due to an anesthesia error, we are here for you. Contact The Abelson Personal Injury Law Firm, to schedule your no-cost medical malpractice consultation today. You can contact us online. Our attorneys represent clients in Washington DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia.