What Damages Can I Recover After a Car Accident in Washington DC?
If you are facing financial stress after a car accident in Washington DC, it is important to get legal help. If anyone else was responsible for the collision that caused your serious injuries, it may be possible to recover full compensation for all your losses.
The Abelson Law Firm, can help you to get the car accident damages you deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and get information about your legal rights.
Car Accident Damages in Washington DC
The no-fault rules in Washington DC require accident victims to first seek compensation through their own insurance policy’s personal injury protection (PIP). PIP coverage pays medical bills and lost wages no matter who was at fault for the accident.
If the injuries caused by an accident meet certain thresholds, you may be entitled to bring a personal injury claim against the at-fault party.
Exceptions to the no-fault rule include situations where:
- The injuries sustained in the car accident are disfiguring or cause permanent scarring.
- The injuries cause impairment that is substantial and that can be demonstrated through medical records.
- The injury interferes with your normal activities of daily living for at least 180 days and medical records can provide proof of this.
- The medical bills and costs associated with treating the injury are higher than the PIP benefits available.
You will need to prove that someone else was to blame for the accident and show the extent of your injuries. Examples of potential defendants include another driver who was reckless, a government agency that failed to properly maintain the street, or a car manufacturer who sold a dangerous product that contributed to your injuries.
If your injuries entitle you to seek compensation beyond what is available through PIP, and you can prove that someone else should be liable, you may recover money for:
- Medical bills and costs. You may be able to recover all costs of treating car accident injuries. You should not have any co-pays. All medical bills should be covered, including the cost of surgeries, medication, rehabilitation therapy and adaptive medical devices. The cost for transportation to doctor’s appointments and home caregivers may also be paid. You should be compensated for the cost of treating permanent injuries over the course of your life.
- Lost income. If you are forced to take any time off of work, including paid sick days or vacation days, you should be compensated for your lost wages. If your injury is permanent and reduces your earning potential, or even makes you unable to work at all, then you should be compensated for the ongoing financial loss.
- Pain and suffering. A car accident can take a physical as well as a financial toll. You should be compensated for the pain you endure.
- Emotional distress. When an accident or resulting injuries cause mental anguish, you should be compensated for this as well. It is common for car accident victims to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder or depression.
It is up to you to show the extent of the damages that you sustained and prove they were caused by your accident in order to recover full and fair compensation. An attorney at The Abelson Law Firm, in Washington DC can assist you in making a strong case to obtain compensation.
Damages for a Close Relative Killed in a Car Crash
If someone dies in a collision, there are still serious financial losses, but the victim is not able to take legal action for him or herself. Surviving family members may be entitled to pursue a wrongful death claim to recover compensation for:
- Medical bills incurred prior to death.
- Funeral costs and expenses.
- Lost income that the deceased would have contributed to the family over the course of his or her life, if the untimely death had not occurred.
- Loss of companionship.
Because a lifetime of lost income and lost companionship can have tremendous costs, a significant amount of money is often at stake in wrongful death cases. Having proper legal representation is important.
We Can Help You Get the Maximum Damages You Deserve
Knowing the full extent of your damages is essential when negotiating a fair settlement with an insurer. An experienced attorney can help give you the best chance of maximizing your award in settlement negotiations or at trial.
For decades, The Abelson Law Firm, has helped individuals and families in Washington DC, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and across the country. Let us help you today.
Call us now or use this online contact form. The consultation is free, confidential and has no strings attached.