Back Injury Lawsuit Washington DC
A back injury from a car accident can cause both physical and financial devastation for a victim, not to mention the emotional impact of a back injury. At The Abelson Law Firm, our Washington DC, car accident lawyer are committed to helping people with accident-related back injuries recover physically, emotionally and financially.
If you have suffered a back injury in a car accident in the D.C. metro area, The Abelson Law Firm, can help you navigate the legal process to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to. Contact us by using our online contact form for a no-cost, no-obligation review of your case.
Types of Back Injuries
Some of the most common back injuries in car accidents include:
- Sprains and strains – Back sprains and strains are usually caused by a stretched or torn muscle, tendon or ligament. The back has a number of large muscles, as well as many ligaments, tendons and other soft tissue. The force of a car accident can cause one or more painful strains or sprains in the back.
- Disc injuries – The spinal column is made up of a series of vertebrae that are separated by discs. The discs are soft and spongy to allow the spine to bend. A back injury can cause a disc herniation or rupture. Often referred to as a “slipped disc,” a herniated disc can cause a considerable amount of pain or tingling along the arms or legs. When a disc is damaged, it is unable to cushion the bones. A damaged disc may put pressure on the nerves that extend from the spinal cord, causing long-term nerve damage.
- Compression fractures – A compression fracture is a very small crack or break in a bone of the spine, which can occur as a result of the force exerted on the back in a car crash. Over time, a compression fracture can cause the vertebrae to become deformed. Eventually, the deformed vertebrae will cause the spine itself to become permanently deformed. Although anyone can suffer a compression fracture, they are more common in older individuals.
- Spinal cord injuries – An injury to the spinal cord can have serious consequences for the victim. Both motor control and sensory function depend on the spinal cord to operate properly. If the delicate nerves in the spinal cord are injured, the body may not be able to send messages back and forth between the brain and the various parts of the body. This can cause paralysis and sensory loss in one or more areas of the body. An injury to the lower spinal cord may cause paraplegia, while an injury to the upper spinal cord can result in quadriplegia (tetraplegia). Injuries to the spinal cord may be partial or complete.
Back Injury Symptoms & Treatment
There are a number of symptoms that a back injury victim may exhibit after a car crash, such as:
- Pain, both localized and general
- Tingling in the arms and hands or in the legs and feet
- Numbness in the arms and hands or legs and feet
- Loss of feeling in the limbs
- Weakness in the arms or legs
- Muscle spasms
- Paralysis or the inability to move the arms or legs
The appropriate treatment for a back injury depends on what type of injury a victim suffered. For strains and sprains, a victim may need rest along with ice or heat. Muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatory medications and pain medication may also be prescribed. A sprain or strain should heal within a few months.
Some back injuries can be much more complicated to treat. Anti-inflammatory medications as well as steroids, muscle relaxants, nerve medications and painkillers may be used to help ease the pain associated with a back injury. Other types of conservative treatment, such as localized steroid injections or at-home traction, may also be tried in an effort to prevent surgery. Sometimes, however, conservative treatments do not alleviate the pain or solve the problem. In that case, surgery may be warranted. Herniated discs and compression fractures often require surgery at some point.
If a victim has suffered a severe spinal cord injury in a car accident, medical science does not yet know how to repair that damage. Treatment for paralysis focuses on therapy for the victim, as well as increasing the patient’s overall quality of life despite the injury.
Get Help from a Washington Injury Attorney at The Abelson Law Firm, Today
If you have suffered a back injury in a Washington DC, car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and other losses. The car accident attorneys at The Abelson Law Firm, can help you navigate the legal process.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about the rights of D.C. accident victims and about how our District of Columbia car accident attorneys can assist you in recovering the maximum compensation you deserve.
Please contact us online