Hash Browns Recalled After Golf Balls Found in Potatoes

By Seeking Justice | May 9, 2017 |

It may be hard to believe, but a food distributor recently announced a product recall of frozen hash browns after it was revealed that the food items may contain pieces of golf balls.

McCain Foods USA, Inc. issued the voluntary product recall of the company’s frozen hash browns because extraneous golf balls have reportedly been discovered in some packages. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the golf balls may have somehow gotten into potatoes used for the hash browns during the harvesting process.

The McCain southern style hash browns are distributed under multiple retail labels, including Roundy’s and Harris Tweeter. These brands include Roundy’s two-pound bags of frozen southern style hash browns and Harris Tweeter two-pound bags of frozen southern style hash browns. It is not believed at this time that any other food products manufactured by McCain Foods have been affected by the recall.

Although McCain Foods USA is based out of New Jersey, the affected food items were distributed at supermarkets and grocery stores located in the District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

McCain USA issued a statement indicating that the company’s priority remains ensuring that consumers are safe and free from illness or injury. However, the reality is that this type of product recall, while issued voluntarily, often stems from a corporation’s fear of liability in the event that any consumers become sick or die as a result of using their food products.

In addition to facing potential product liability lawsuits from people who purchased and then ate the company’s hash browns prior to the announcement of the recall, McCain Foods USA has taken a public-relations hit as several media outlets across the country ran with the news, and published attention-grabbing headlines, about golf balls somehow ending up in hash brown packages.

There have not yet been any reports of consumers becoming sick or injured as a result of accidentally ingesting golf ball pieces in the McCain hash browns. The fear among consumer safety experts is that someone eating the potentially contaminated hash browns could be exposed to a choking hazard or otherwise injure their mouth, teeth, or throat.


If you have been injured while using a defective product, or as a result of consuming a mislabeled food item, you need to speak with a qualified personal injury lawyer. The experienced personal injury and product liability attorneys at the Abelson Law Firm can help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to go over your case.

Our Case Results

View All Results
Chiropractic Malpractice

Because of a neck adjustment, a young man suffered dissection of his carotid artery. A stroke occurred, and the young man died shortly thereafter.

Read More
Train Accident

A 13-year-old boy was hit by a Conrail train. The boy suffered amputations of one arm and both legs.

Read More
  • American Board of Trial Advocates
  • Super Lawyers
  • American Association for Justice
  • Washingtonian
  • Martindale-Hubbell

If you find that you are in need of a personal injury lawyer, I HIGHLY recommend Attorney Michael Abelson. I suffered a permanent disabling injury in a car accident. Mr. Abelson worked hard on my case and prepared carefully for trial. He guided me every step along the way. His diligent preparation led to a settlement agreement that greatly exceeded my expectation. Date published: 09/07/2018
5 / 5 stars

Contact Us About Your Case

Let us help you.
Please fill out the form below - all fields are required to send the form.