Seat belts are considered your first line of defense against car accidents and car injuries. But there’s an equally important safety device you might be taking for granted. It’s your knowledge, which can stop a car accident from happening.
Avoiding a car accident begins with knowing area roads; specifically, knowing which intersections are most dangerous. Having this knowledge is the first step towards safer driving, greater attentiveness and accident avoidance.
10 Dangerous Intersections in Washington D.C.
To better prepare you as a driver and help you avoid car accidents, here’s a list of 10 dangerous intersections in Washington, D.C.:
- Columbia Road NW and 14th Street NW
- 18th Street NW and Adams Mill Road NW
- Georgia Avenue and Kennedy Street NW
- 44th Street NE and Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue
- Firth Stirling Avenue and Suitland Parkway SE
- First Street and Massachusetts Avenue NE
- Bladensburg Road and New York Avenue NE
- 14th Street and U Street NW
- Minnesota Avenue and Benning Road NE
- M Street and Wisconsin Avenue NW
Car accidents involving pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles and other vehicles are statistically higher at these intersections. As part of the Vision Zero program, D.C. leaders and the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) have analyzed or are currently analyzing these intersections in hopes of reducing car accidents.
Driving Tips for Dangerous Intersections
When driving in Washington, D.C., approach these intersections cautiously. You can reduce the likelihood of a car accident by following these safe driving rules:
- Merge into the correct lane before reaching the intersection
- Look for and avoid the “blind spots” of other drivers
- Signal your turn, alerting other drivers of your intentions
- Reduce distractions (loud music, cell phones, conversations, eating), and keep both hands on the wheel
- Watch closely for brake lights to anticipate slowdowns in traffic
- Avoid tailgating, and don’t rush a changing light
- Watch closely for signs (stop signs, one way signs) and warnings (pedestrians, crosswalks, bike lanes)
If you have been injured as a result of a negligent motorist on a Washington, D.C. highway, you should speak with a qualified personal injury lawyer immediately. The experienced personal injury and car accident attorneys at the Abelson Law Firm can help you get the compensation you need, want, and deserve. Contact us now to schedule a free consultation.